Spirit Rock: Yoga & Dharma
A six month mindfulness intensive for aspiring or experienced yoga teachers
Training begins January 2018 / Now accepting applications and registration.
–Only 25 spaces available–
- Awaken Insight in your yoga and meditation practice
- Cultivate greater intimacy with the present moment
- Develop the skills to teach the Dharma and Yoga
- Fulfills requirements for Yoga Alliance 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher certification
This immersive training addresses body, mind and heart through the study of mindful asana, pranayama, anatomy, mindfulness meditation, and the wisdom teachings of Yoga and Buddhism. The foundation of the program is mindfulness meditation, and students will develop both their personal practice, as well as the ability to guide others.
The focus of the asana training is on increasing sensory awareness and allowing the body and breath to open and transform without seeking to achieve a particular pose or goal. We will explore asanas as vehicles for Insight and for fostering a kind and easeful relationship with the body.
We will increase mindfulness through asana training by the use of language, directing cues to the inner experience of the posture, breath, and what arises in the mind.
Through anatomy study we will strengthen understanding of the body’s structure and inner function for intelligent practice and skillful teaching.
We will engage with the Dharma through study of traditional texts, writings by Spirit Rock teachers, poetry, and story to bring the teachings to life. The Brahma Viharas, with a focus on metta, will be at the heart of our practices, providing refuge and support for kindness and compassion towards ourselves and others.
- You will learn the foundational asanas and how to teach them through practice experience, observation and study, and the use of variations, props and modiﬁcations.
- You will learn how mindful yoga is distinct and involves creating a calm and spacious atmosphere in a class by using language and cueing to focus the mind, addressing the nervous system and deactivating the stress or competitive response. You will study the latest teachings in neuroscience and interoceptive awareness and how they apply to yoga and meditation practice.
- You will strengthen your personal meditation practice and learn the foundational skills of teaching meditation in a yoga class.
- You will learn to identify key bones, muscles and myofascial lines, as well as the organs and components of the nervous system.
- You will have the opportunity to develop an integrated and embodied connection to the foundational teachings of the Dharma, including the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Brahma Viharas, and the Five Hindrances, and the key sutras of Patanjali and the Ashtanga Yoga system.